Monday, March 19, 2012

I'm a Scientist, and I'm getting a bit tired!

Just over half way through I'm a Scientist, and my fingers hurt from typing. It's been interesting, and the moderators keep reassuring us the kids get a lot out of the Live Chats, so I'm keeping at it!

 Live chats are a bit like being shouted at by a room full of 13 year olds (actually they are exactly like that in electronic form). There are some idiots, some who shout loud (CAPS!) to get attention, and some great questions if you can find them. It's not for the faint at heart, and I decided that the best policy was to ignore my fellow scientists (sorry guys) and focus only on answering interesting questions. I've had some fantastic interactions that way - even if they are all becoming a bit of a blur. I think I've done 11 of them so far. That's 5 1/2 hours in the last week. Right! ;)

I've taken a similar tack with the offline questions. I mostly answer those that interest me (although I have gone through others just to get them off my list of unanswered questions). I'd prefer to answer them first (or just by myself), but we have some very keen PhD students in our zone with what seems like endless time, so I'm usually not able to, but instead just ignore the other answers and pretend like they don't exist (again sorry my fellow Space Zone scientists). One of the other guys in the zone says we've had more than 400, and I think I've answered more than not - so 200+ questions done.... right! ;)

The first eviction is tomorrow at 3pm - ironically when I'll be physically in front of a room full of 9 and 10 year olds. At least I won't be worrying if I got kicked off - that'll have to wait! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment